Monday, August 1, 2011

Timing

Jack (2 months) and I go back and forth most of the day. I find that having impeccable timing is crucial when it comes to having his bottle ready. If that bottle isn't ready within the given window of about 20 seconds, I know we are going to have at it. Accomplishing this is no small feat, as I am still getting the hang of the exact time it takes to heat up a bottle and how to achieve the one degree temperature variance that Jack allows me.

A lot goes into this equation. More than the commoner would think. Is the milk frozen? Is it thawed? Has it just been pumped and night quite cool yet? What kind of bottle is it in? How much milk is there? How long should I heat the water? How much water should I heat? How much should I give him?

He would also claim he gives me fair warning when he's about ready to eat by, if he is sleeping, tilting his head 5 degrees to the right (his right or my right always confuses me) and if he is awake, a half second vocal release that is not an A or B but a B flat. Get that wrong and I've wasted a bottle.

In my week and a half at home I've been hit or miss. Have that bottle ready, and the day is a dream. Miss it by a moment and I'm under Master Jack's foot for the rest of the day.



________
Stay-at-Home Dad, stay at home dad, SAHD

No comments:

Post a Comment