Saturday, August 6, 2011

Serious about Supper

If time allows, I truly love making a good meal from scratch.  For me there is something about taking raw ingredients, mixing them together, applying a little heat, rearranging it in to an aesthetic artwork, and then devouring it in about a tenth of the time it took to make it.

I've always been fascinated by the idea of eating as a social concept.  I'm not sure of any other species out there (please correct me if I'm wrong,) that prepares it's food as we do, sits down together as we do, and enjoys it as we do.  In it's simplest form, eating is something we must do to sustain our selves.  And although not everyone can, we have the great fortune of taking that necessity and transforming it into an indulgence and an experience to bond over.

More than just tasting something wonderful on the palette together as a group, eating together also plays a very important part in our social togetherness.  In a hectic home, it is a time each day where we can all be together for one brief shining moment.  And more than that, due to the endorphin-releasing nature of good food, it is much like having a couple alcoholic drinks and allows us to open up and really talk to each other. With a world that is increasingly staring at screens and (dis)connecting electronically, it forces us to actually look at one another and use the aging method of speech to communicate. I, myself, am far too guilty of having a conversation with my wife while staring at a screen.  (What was it that she asked me to do today? . . . Oh well.)


Yep. A good, nutritional, and nourishing meal can take time to make.  As a parent, time is something we obviously have little of.  I'm sure as my boys grow I may raise the white flag and opt for the grilled cheese and juice box more than I should.  However, I hope to never revert to the basic necessity of eating to satiate my hunger and forgo the invaluable benefits of sitting down for 30 minutes each evening to enjoy a good meal and good conversation. I already know as my family grows and ages that I hope to keep family meals a priority.

As of now our boys aren't quite into the full fledged entrees that I make.  Jack is adamant about continuing his breast milk fast for the next few months, and although Bucky is getting used to some mixed foods, he's all about eating raw fruits and veggies for supper.  However, (and again I'm often guilty of the opposite,) taking the time to connect after work with my spouse is and should be a priority. Supper is the perfect venue for this.  Bucky eats with us, but usually finishes very quickly.  Once he's done, we've begun telling him that he must play by himself and we won't be able to help until Mom and Dad are both done eating.  If we use this time properly, it is a great benefit to not only mine and Christy's relationship but in turn our relationships with our kids.

Of course, this topic is much more expansive than what is here and hopefully in the future I'll be able to expand and be much more articulate on this passion of mine.  But for now, simply put . . .

Eat Together. Eat Real Food. Eat at the Table. Eat Together.
(Yes, I did write "Eat Together" twice. It's that important.)





________
Stay-at-Home Dad, stay at home dad, SAHD

No comments:

Post a Comment