Monday, August 1, 2011

At Home

When our first child, Bucky, was born in January of '09 it was me who was out in the working world and my wife who graciously stayed home. When we saw the wonderful benefits of what running our own business could be we jumped at the opportunity and tried our hand at publishing classic books. Cricket House Books. We could make our own schedules, work from anywhere, and most important to us, we could each be with Bucky every other day.

Things were absolutely wonderful. We were making enough money to get by and the amount of time each of us were able to spend with our son was obviously invaluable. After 9 months of this utopia, our book sales were single handedly wiped out by a change in Amazon's algorithm. Needless to say it was a very difficult decision that we had to make for one of us to go find a job elsewhere.

It had always been a discussed option that I would be willing to stay at home with the kids if need be, and Christy having felt a little cooped up when she was home alone with Bucky decided to put this option in to effect. So as of October of last year I joined the ever growing profession of "Stay-at-Home Dad." In 2003 the number of stay at home dads was 98,000. In 2010 that number was 158,000. At Home Dads. Of course this number pales in comparison to the 5.6m women who stay at home, but it is apparent that the number of men choosing to stay at home is receiving exponential growth.

My wife has now been employed elsewhere for 10 months (with the exception of having 2 months off to welcome our second child, Jack), and I have been home during that time loving it up. I am no super human and I definitely have my points of severe frustration, but what an absolute blessing that I am able to spend each and every day playing and laughing, creating and inventing, imagining and dreaming, and loving and teaching.

With this blog I hope to share these experiences and wonders that only can be found between a parent and a child. What we eat and what we play, and what makes us laugh and what makes us cry.

Thanks for reading.


________
Stay-at-Home Dad, stay at home dad, SAHD

No comments:

Post a Comment